The list of 400 companies that comprise of some of the print industry’s top ranked businesses in the United States and Canada was rolled out recently.
And with the print industry evolving at a quick pace, adopting new technologies, processes and plenty of M&A transaction pushing the competition in the marketplace to yet another level, trends show that most of these companies have been growing organically.
With strategically targeted specific areas of operations that include packaging, direct mail and wide-format printing, mergers and acquisitions have been plenty in the mid-sized business range mainly to increase or even maintain their revenues.
Top 10 printing companies in the United States
- RR Donnelley in Chicago topped the list on being a market leader in the printing business in 2016 with sales to the tune of $7000 million. A Fortune 500 business, the company was founded in 1864 by Richard Robert Donnelley and has over 42,000 employees.
- At number 2 is Quad/Graphics headquartered at Sussex Wisconsin recording sales of $4678 million. The company was formed in 1971 by Harry and Elizabeth Quadracci and today has over 39 printing facilities in the United States alone expanding to Europe, Canada and Latin America as well.
- In third position is LSC Communications, another Chicago-based firm which racked up $3700 million in sales in 2016. The company specializes in traditional and digital prints offering numerous products for publishers, merchandisers and retailers.
- Cimpress made it to the list at number 4 with sales of $1788 million. Cimpress is headquartered at Waltham Massachusetts. The company focuses on printed marketing material, signages, photo products and embodied apparel.
- At number five with $1772.81 million in sales over the last year is Deluxe Corp headquartered in Shoreview Minnesota. The company specializes in manufacturing check printers and has a workforce of 5,874 employees.
- Located in Stamford, CT in position 6 is Cenveo Inc with sales of $1741.78 million. The company was founded in 1921 and comprises of 8,700 employees. Cenveo offers a variety of digital print products including printed labels, packaging, print magazines and more.
- The seventh spot belongs to Transcontinental Inc. from Montreal that bagged $1625.70 million worth of sales in the 2016 fiscal. The company is headquartered in Canada and was founded by Remi Marcoux.
- Donnelley Financial Solutions ranked at the number eight spot with $1050 million in sales for 2016. Donnelley Financial Solutions is a Chicago based business.
- Multi-Color Corp from Batavio Ohio which specializes in premium label solutions for different segments that include home, food and beverage, wines and spirits, healthcare, auto and consumer durables came in at number 9 in the top 10 list. The employee strength at this company is 4,500 serving over 20 countries with 44 state-of-the-art facilities.
- Ennis Inc. bagged the number 10 spot with $569 million in sales for the 2016 fiscal. Ennis Inc. is based in Midlothian Texas and was founded in 1909. The company has today grown to 55 locations in the United States with a workforce of over 2300 employees.
Although the list assures great quality in printing results; there are still many other reliable printing companies in the United States such as Doranix, a printing company based in Colorado that specializes on different types of printing including Tyvek, a material popularly used in medical, dental and pharmaceutical industries.. Several other good printing companies are also available in the US market; a thorough research and review should still be done when looking for a reliable company for printing.